📣 After 9 years at Bucknell, I moved to the Department of Information Science at CU Boulder. Please be patient as I transition my website over to my new context. If you are thinking about grad school at CU Boulder, the 2024 application deadlines have passed. However, you can still see my lab philosophy in this past year’s call.
I am an Associate Professor of Information Science at University of Colorado Boulder. My research draws on the fields of Human-Computer Interaction and Information Visualization. I believe that improving the public’s engagement, trust, and understanding of data is a critical societal challenge. My research focuses on the opportunities and barriers of both data representations and data tools when they are embedded within our public sphere.
Before CU, I was an Associate Professor of Computer Science at Bucknell University, I received my Ph.D. in Computer Science from Tufts University with Robert Jacob, and worked (during a recent sabbatical) as a Visiting Scientist at MIT with Arvind Satyanarayan.
Explore my work
Recent News (see older news)
- Dec: Our ACM CHI 2024 workshop proposal Toward a More Comprehensive Understanding of Visualization Literacy was accepted! I’m excited to co-organize with an outstanding group of faculty.
- Nov: Along with colleagues at Bucknell University, I am a co-PI for a new grant via Mozilla’s Responsible Computing Challenge. In this interdisciplinary, multi-institution collaboration, we’ll create a Just Computing Fellows program and look to reimagine data visualization education at CU Boulder.
- Oct: 📣 I am planning to accept 1 or more PhD students for Fall 2024 - click this link for more info
- Oct: Attending Mozilla’s Responsible Computing Summit at Harvard University.
- Oct: Gave talk at NCAR (National Center for Atmospheric Research): Good for Scientists, Bad for Society: What happens when our charts don’t change minds?
- Oct: Gave guest lecture at Colorado College on thinking about the sociopolitical role of visualization.
- Aug: After completing my move to CU Boulder, I was officially awarded tenure in the department of Information Science. And they give us a tenure medal!
- Apr: 🏆 “Who do we mean when we talk about visualization novices?” (with Alyx Burns, Christiana Lee, Ria Chawla, and Narges Mahyar) was given a Best Paper award at ACM CHI 2023! You can read the preprint here or watch a presentation video.
- Mar: I spoke at Stanford University’s 2023 Embedded EthiCS Conference on Strategies for Teaching Responsible Computing within the Computer Science Curriculum. The recordings are live and there were many wonderful speakers. Check it out!
- Feb: I gave a (virtual) talk at the University of Calgary Interactions Lab - “Reimagining data visualization to reflect who we already are”
- Jan: I joined the program committee for the 2023 ACM Conference on Fairness, Accountability, and Transparency (ACM FAccT)
- Jan: 🎉 In collaboration with Alyx Burns, Christiana Lee, Ria Chawla, and Narges Mahyar, our paper “Who do we mean when we talk about visualization novices?” was conditionally accepted to ACM CHI 2023. More details soon!
- Dec: 🎉 In collaboration with Alyx Burns, Cindy Xiong, Narges Mahyar, and other wonderful folk at UMass Amherst, our paper “From Invisible to Visible: Impacts of Metadata in Communicative Data Visualization” was accepted to IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics