📣 After 9 wonderful years at Bucknell, I moved to the Department of Information Science at CU Boulder. Please be patient as I transition my website over to my new context. If you are thinking about graduate school, I am planning to accept 1 or more PhD students for Fall 2024 (more info yet to come!)
I am an Associate Professor of Information Science at University of Colorado Boulder. My research draws on the fields of Human-Computer Interaction and Information Visualization. I believe that improving the public’s engagement, trust, and understanding of data is a critical societal challenge. My research focuses on the opportunities and barriers of both data representations and data tools when they are embedded within our public sphere.
Before CU, I was an Associate Professor of Computer Science at Bucknell University, I received my Ph.D. in Computer Science from Tufts University with Robert Jacob, and worked (during a recent sabbatical) as a Visiting Scientist at MIT with Arvind Satyanarayan.
Students: This semester, I am teaching INFO 4602: Information Visualization. We will be meeting MWF at 10:00am in HUMN 1B90.
Explore my work
Recent News (see older news)
- Oct: Upcoming talk at NCAR (National Center for Atmospheric Research): Good for Scientists, Bad for Society: What happens when our charts don’t change minds?
- Oct: Upcoming guest lecture at Colorado College on thinking about the sociopolitical role of visualization.
- Aug: After completing my move to CU Boulder, I was officially awarded tenure in the department of Information Science!
- Apr: 🏆 “Who do we mean when we talk about visualization novices?” (with Alyx Burns, Christiana Lee, Ria Chawla, and Narges Mahyar) was given a Best Paper award at ACM CHI 2023! You can read the preprint here or watch a presentation video.
- Mar: I spoke at Stanford University’s 2023 Embedded EthiCS Conference on Strategies for Teaching Responsible Computing within the Computer Science Curriculum. The recordings are live and there were many wonderful speakers. Check it out!
- Feb: I gave a (virtual) talk at the University of Calgary Interactions Lab - “Reimagining data visualization to reflect who we already are”
- Jan: I joined the program committee for the 2023 ACM Conference on Fairness, Accountability, and Transparency (ACM FAccT)
- Jan: 🎉 In collaboration with Alyx Burns, Christiana Lee, Ria Chawla, and Narges Mahyar, our paper “Who do we mean when we talk about visualization novices?” was conditionally accepted to ACM CHI 2023. More details soon!
- Dec: 🎉 In collaboration with Alyx Burns, Cindy Xiong, Narges Mahyar, and other wonderful folk at UMass Amherst, our paper “From Invisible to Visible: Impacts of Metadata in Communicative Data Visualization” was accepted to IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics
- Dec: Using an internal grant to support interdisciplinary collaboration, I’m co-organizing a design exhibition and celebration day that spans courses in all 3 colleges at Bucknell - my Human-Computer Interaction course (in CS through Engineering), Prof. Eddy Lopez’s Graphic Design course (in Art through Arts & Sciences), and Prof. Gabriela Diego’s Design Realization course (in MIDE through Management)
- Nov: I accepted an invitation to be a panelist at the Stanford University’s 2023 Embedded EthiCS Conference on Strategies for Teaching Responsible Computing within the Computer Science Curriculum. More details later!
- Nov/Dec: It is reviewing season for the Selection Committee for the Computing Research Association’s (CRA) Outstanding Undergraduate Researchers award. It is my 3rd year serving on the committee.
- Oct: I co-organized Bucknell’s first Aspiring PUI Faculty Workshop, inviting 7 PhD and post-docs from across the country to reflect on faculty opportunities at undergraduate institutions. We are hoping to expand next year!
- Oct: It was wonderful to see the 2nd workshop on Visualization for Social Good this year at IEEE Vis. As I’ve shifted into a steering committee role, the credit really goes to the organizers - Leilani Battle, Michelle Borkin, Emily Wall, Lane Harrison, and Narges Mahyar
- Sep/Oct/Dec: Our Bucknell learning community - STEM (In)Justice: Inside and Outside the Curriculum - is holding bi-weekly meetings to critically examine STEM’s courses, curricula, practices, and pedagogy. I am co-facilitating with Deepak Iyer (Physics + Astronomy), Amal Kabalan (Electrical + Comp Eng), Elif Miskioğlu (Chem Eng), Darakhshan Mir (CS), and Deborah Sills (Civil Eng)
- Sep: I survived another ACM CHI submission deadline, 🤞 on submitted work.
- Sep: I joined the Steering Commmittee of Bucknell’s Grand Challenges Scholars Program, which requires students to work on one or more grand societal challenges through a series of high-engagement activities (resaerch, service learning, etc.).
- Aug: For the 2022-23 academic year, I am co-chairing Bucknell University’s Committee on Instruction (COI) - Bucknell’s governance mechanism for recommending university-wide policies on instructional programs across the university’s three colleges.
- Aug: I wrapped up a wonderful year-long sabbatical as a Visiting Scientist at MIT with Arvind Satyanarayan and the MIT Visualization Group.